The book, Wild Meat and the Bully Burgers, relates to cultural and ethnic roots. It relates to cultural and ethnic roots because it's about haole and Japanese cultures. A girl name Lovey, who is Japanese-American, lives on the Big Island and she wants to be a haole. She doesn't like to be Japanese and she is always trying to be like a haole. When she pretends she's a haole, she thinks about having a big house instead of a small one. She also thinks about everything being clean and organized. Lovey's also ashamed of her family. She's embarrassed that her family cannot speak proper English, but instead have bad habits of talking in pidgin. In conclusion, the book, Wild Meat and the Bully Burgers, talks about ethnic and cultural roots.
Some examples:
"I don't tell anyone, not even Jerry, how ashamed I am of my pidgin English. Ashamed of my mother and father, the food we eat, chicken luau with can spinach and tripe stew. The place we live, down the house lots in the Hicks Homes that all look alike except for the angle of the house from the street. The car we drive, my father's brown Land Rover without the back window. The clothes we wear, sometimes we have to wear the same pants in the same week and the same shoes until it breaks. Don't have no choice. Ashamed of my aunties and uncles at baby luaus, yakudoshis, and mochi pounding parties. "Eh, bradda Larry, bring me one nada Primo, brah. One cold one fo' real kine. I rey-day, I rey-day, no woray, brah. Uncap that sucka and come home to Uncle Stevie."
"Live in a house with Dixie cup dispensers, bunk beds with ruffled sheets, bendable straws, rose shaped soap, Lysol, and Pez..... I wanna be Lovey Beth Cole. Mrs. Michael Cole. Wanna marry you, Dennis. Be a Cole. Be a haole. A japanese with a haole last name"
No comments:
Post a Comment