Throughout my first semester of high school, I learned a lot. As I looked back through all my essays to put in my portfolio, I realized how much I have improved on my writing skills since the first day of school. If it weren't for my english class, I wouldn't have become a better writer.
One achievement that I am most proud of is my Roots and Recipies Essay. I am proud of this because it was one of my first writing pieces I had since the beginning of this semester. When I wrote my rough draft, my Roots and Recipies Essay wasn't that great. But when I put all my new writing skills I have learned, I improved in my writing and ended up getting a better grade on my final draft. I am proud to see myself learning from my mistakes and getting better in my writing.
The four traits we were focusing on this year, have been a challenge for me because I'm not used to it and I had to change my writing techniques a bit in order to show that I fully understand each trait. One of the traits that have been a great challenge for me was word choice. I don't know much words and when I learn new vocabulary, I tend to forget what most words mean. I learned to not repeat words (although I still do,) and to look up synonyms for words that I do repeat a lot.
Some goals I have set for myself for next semester are to expand my vocabulary, and have better ideas in writing. I want to expand my vocabulary to make my writing more descriptive and effective. I don't want to keep repeating the same words over and over again. I want to have better ideas when I write because sometimes, I have no clue what to write and I end up getting off topic.
After all my hard work I have done in school and all the effort I put into my portfolio, I would really love to have your thoughts on what you think of my portfolio.
This a great opportunity to comment on my learning. When commenting, please answer these following questions :
1. What did you like best about my portfolio and portfolio conference? What would you like to see me improve on in my portfolio?
2. From your point of view, which of my attainments of the 4 traits of writing is of most value? Please explain why you feel it is important and what about my documentation of it impresses you.
3. Which of the traits of writing would you like me to focus on in the coming semester?
1. You've put a lot of thought and hard work into this portfolio. The webpage was a creative way of organizing the writing process. I especially enjoyed that you actually shared some of your school work with me. I would like to see more colorful words used on the webpage like written in some of your essays.
ReplyDelete2. Voice in an essay is probably the most valuable writing trait because it keeps the reader interested. I was impressed with how far you've come along in your writing. The Mango and Asing Park essays brought me back to the time when you were little and made me yearn for the good old days.
3. This coming semester, you should work on word choice and be less repetitive.
Overall, great job Kristen!
Love,
Mom